James K. Wood
Mr. Wood is the Technical Tax Matters Partner for the Law Firm of Diefenderfer Hoover McKenna & Wood, LLP.. He joined the Partnership on December 1, 1990 after gaining valuable experience in the public accounting and private sector. His primary areas of concentration involve individual and corporate tax and business planning; entity selection and formation, business succession and estate planning for business owners and executives; estate, gift and transfer tax planning. In addition he frequently represents individuals and companies before the Internal Revenue Service in connection with examinations and appeals of audits, and in tax litigation before the United States Tax Court.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Past Chair, Tax Section, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Pittsburgh Tax Club
- Board of Directors, Chartiers Mental Health and Retardation Center, Inc.
1990 - Diefenderfer Hoover McKenna & Wood, LLP, Partner
1986 - 1990 Arthur Young, Principal
1983 - 1986 National Intergroup, Inc., Manager of Tax Planning and Research
1977 - J.D., Dickinson School of Law
1974 - B.S in Commerce McIntyre School of Commerce University of Virginia
U.S. Tax Court
- Represented numerous families in developing and implementing an estate planning strategy to protect the surviving spouse and to maximize the after-death tax transfer of wealth to the succeeding generation.
- Assisted corporate clients in designing succession plans for the business seeking to protect the business while minimizing business disruption and estate and inheritance taxes.
- Represented buyers and sellers in various corporate acquisitions, sales and mergers.
- Represented executors and trustees in the administration and settlement of all sizes of estates and trusts.
- Obtained innocent spouse relief for spouse of an individual convicted of tax evasion. Developed reasonable installment plans for clients unable to pay their federal income taxes on a timely basis.
- Represented numerous clients before the audit and appeal division of the IRS achieving favorable settlements of tax assessments
- Assisted clients in the selection and formation of the type of entity best suited for their operations.
Rotary Club of Pittsburgh- 1981-present, former officer and director
UVA Club of Pittsburgh – Member of the Executive Committee and Past President
PIAA Certified Track and Field Official